Friday, February 22, 2008

Indigo Ball & Way Gay U -- October 2007

Once again this year, I went to the Indigo Ball. Jason came with me and looked beautiful in his tux. I decided on a red vest and quite liked the difference it presented at the ball. There were few mavericks from the black and white standard. Jason’s vest and tie were a tasteful gray, which was also different. After last year, when I wore a white vest, shirt, and tie, I swore I’d never do that again (unless there were some kind of rule imposed). And I was happy with the choice I made.

I always feel a little bit of awe walking into these affairs – not because I don’t feel I belong. Au Contraire, I belong. I was one of the Founders. No sense of hauteur there – just a fact. I was there in the days we were scrabbling around for a space, for respect, for a place in the larger community. I was there. I helped make history.

So, my awe comes from the fact that history was made. We, so long ago, did something that hadn’t been done before and here we are now – celebrating in tuxes and gowns, in a glittering setting, with music, and the respect of the larger society.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a long, long way to go. The heart of the human is a labyrinth that seems truly unknowable. We’ve made our way in, now all we need do is find our way to the center. Maybe with a little tinkering…

This year’s Ball was held in Liberty Place, which is an interesting setting however not made for easy food service. But we won’t go further on that topic right now.

Saw lots of old friends, the music was good, and the atmosphere was modern, elegant, and different.

Teaching at WayGayU

I taught a course on short story writing at the community center’s cleverly named Way Gay U – a place where courses on a variety of topics are offered.

I had a small class but that’s what you want when teaching a writing course – otherwise not all the students get heard. This was just right.

We had a great time and the class gave me an opportunity to think about writing from a different perspective.

No comments: